Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1992 toyota pickup 22re wont start just clicks/changed open

Customer Question

Customer: 1992 toyota pickup 22re wont start just clicks/changed open circuit relay and efi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Truck died at stop light and would not start again/would start spraying starter fluid in intake but would not run/changed fuel pump,computer and open circuit relay wont star just clicks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. What is the battery voltage at with the key in the CRANK position?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Havent tried that. Founnd loose wire at starter. Now run when put power direct to fp (fuel pump) connection on dianosis connector. Ran for a few minutes then had to replace open circuits relay but just stalls out after driving about ten miles. Fuel pump running nonstop while power from battery to that fp connection. Why would it run a while then stall?
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

That is different than a NO CRANK condition. It sounds to me like you have two seperate issues..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We found starter wire disconnected now fuel pump works when given direct power but and starts then dies but starts and runs for a while aftrr replacing open circuits relay.
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Ok, so does the engine remain running on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its running on fuel from tank. But even though fuel pump is pushing fuel, it stalls out after a few mile drive. I replaced the open circuit relay and it started and ran a nother few miles then died.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Starting fluid works to make it start.
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

This might be easier if we talked over the phone. Would you be would you be willing to talk tomorrow morning over the phone?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not at this time
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Ok, no problem. I will leave this open for other experts. Have a good night.

Expert:  Dj replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm DJ.

Let's try putting a jumper in the DIAGNOSIS box. This box is next to the fuse box under the hood.

Inside the lid is a chart that shows what each of the terminals is.

I just use a paper clip bent into a U shape and stick one leg of the paper clip in FP and the other in B+.

This will bypass a couple of components and turn on the fuel pump whenever the key is in the RUN position.

Try this and let me know if the engine keeps running and drives OK.

DJ