Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The VSC, trac off an check engine lights are off. I know I

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** -- the VSC, trac off an check engine lights are off. I know I need to get it to a dealership, but that is not going to be possible until Monday. If I continue to drive it, will it cause bigger problems. This happened on the way home from work last night, but when I was leaving working it was making a notice when I turned left or right.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I meant a noise when I turned the steering wheel when I was turning left or right.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thank sor posting Just a couple of questions please:

What year and model Toyota is it?

How many miles on the odometer?

Are the check eng, vsc and trac off lights all on at the same time while driving?

Other than that noise are there any braking or handling problems?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a 2005 Scion X5, little over 188,000. I am the only owner. Yes, all lights on at the same time while driving. No other noise and no braking or handling problems.

Thanks, ***** ***** located in the US and if so in what state?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In Fort Worth, TX

Thanks again,

Whenever the check engine light turns on it will also log codes for the VSC and ABS systems since communication between the engine control and these systems so the main concern is the check engine light at this time, most autoparts stores like autozone can get the engine codes for you at no charge

I will accept a phone call or I can call you if you feel that will help, please provide phone number.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I risk causing damage if I drive it about 50 miles today? I will get the codes checked tomorrow.

I don't think there is any risk as far as that goes, it's most likely just an emission control systrm malfunction, I'm still kind of wondering about the noise when turning left or right as you stated in your original question, that may be a seperate concern.

Check to make sure that the gas cap is on tight, loose or missing gas cap will cause the check engine light to turn on, other than that I would need some diagnostic code numbers to diagnose this further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, thanks for your help. I will go get the codes tomorrow, since no one is open today.

Sounds great I will be online most of the day.

Those autoparts stores have a tendency to give you an explanation or even make recommendations based on what code numbers they see on the scanner which may or may not be accurate, please ask them for the actual code numbers and write them down engine codes usually start with a P and then some numbers, like P0441 etc, this is what I need, thanks.