Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I'm trying to install a 2011 fj radio in my 2003 sequoia.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I'm trying to install a 2011 fj radio in my 2003 sequoia. i'm having a problem with the volume. it's always on loud and can't be adjusted.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the radio from the FJ is a toyota oem radio. 86120-35600. Everything works except the volume.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Are the Toyota experts familiar with wiring
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Hello... Lets see what we can get figured out. So you are trying to install a radio from another model on your vehicle. Does the original harness snap right in or are you using an aftermarket harness?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the original harness snaps in
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The steering wheel control works except for the volume. The volume knob doesn't change the volume either.
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Okay so if it helps I can provide the wire location on your factory harness for the volume control and I can also check to see if I can locate were on the FJ cruiser radio those wires need to be hooked up too...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Everything else seems to work.
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

You think this may help?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

You would Prefer to have a live phone conversation?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Okay... Give me a few to take a peek at the wiring diagrams. As soon as I get organized I will message you back.

Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Does your vehicle have an amplifier? Also is your vehicle equipped with a rear audio system. Basically do the rear seats have control of your audio as well?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has the JBL amps but not rear audio control
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 11 months ago.

Looking at the Wiring diagrams for both I don't think that this will be easily rewired if possible. What I can do is provide you with is the wiring diagrams or maybe another expert to see if maybe they will be more useful? I apologize for the wait.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you have someone that might be able to tell me which wires I need to rewire I'd appreciate it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you