Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 Echo, auto, AC The car starts well then rolls into a

Customer Question

2003 Echo, auto, AC
The car starts well then rolls into a heavy vibration (similar to a misfire) almost the instant that the cold light goes out. A blip on the throttle gets the engine running nicely, but lifting off the accelerator brings a stumble...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 1 year ago.

Hello... Lets see if we can get something figured out. Now you said on your comment that you feel it similar to a misfire correct? How long has this been occurring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just began. The car was running great on a 20 mile trip. The shaking and stumbling just started, and the Check Engine light came on. We pulled over, turned the engine off, checked the oil, hoses, and other obvious visible parts, while the car cooled down, then restarted it. It idled fine until the temp got up to normal when the stumbling began again. Seems like an air leak to me- maybe the idle air controller (?).
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any information on the trouble codes? If the check engine light turned on it could still have memory of your fault code. Also did the vehicle ever overheat during your trip?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Everything was normal. All fluids incl coolant were replaced within the past 10k miles. I do not have a code reader.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sorted out that it was a bad #1 coil. no charge, right?
Expert:  MDT-89 replied 1 year ago.

You are correct. I am glad your issue has been resolved.