camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

How do I disconnect the DRL on a Toyota Sienna 2004.? I live

Customer Question

Hi, how do I disconnect the DRL on a Toyota Sienna 2004.? I live in Sweden, have imported a Sienna 2004 with DRL, and that type of DRL is not allowed, but I still need the Head beams of course :). So I want the DRL to be disconnected, but high beam functioning. I read something on internet that I cannot just remove a relay, but need to cut of some cable on the relay...? / With Best regards ***** ***** Hager, Sweden
Category: Toyota
Expert:  camerontech replied 11 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

there are different drl relays.

the main drl relay which is activated by the BCM is the DRL 2 in the engine juction box.

The green and red wire going to that relay is the main control from bcm. this is the one that would need to be cut .

I did notice in the wiring diagram that there is a DRL fuse in the engine fuse compartment.

I would recommend locating this fuse and unplugging this first before cutting any wires.

i have included a wiring diagram for you

let me know how it works out,

cam

hi there,

how did your repair go?

cam

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Cameron, I have not been online due to Christmas holidays :), but now I am in again. I have tried before to disconnect the DRL Fuse, as I thought that must be it..., but then the High Beam also went off.. :(.Thank You very much for the wiring diagram. I will try to locate the red/green wire tomorrow, and see if I can cut it off, I will try to do it in such a way that I can reconnect the pieces if not working as we think.. :).I am not familiar with the term BCM You wrote.., what is BCM.With Best regards
Lars G Hager
Sweden
Cellular: +46730435527

sorry,

the bcm is the body control module

cam

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Cameron, Thank You so much so far... :).
I have not located the red/green wire yet, due to that it probably is under the large fuse&relay box in the engine room. I wonder´if I have to try to unscrew the complete box, try to lift it up and look below..., that I was not so keen on..., but will try one day soon.
I was also thinking..., what happens if I remove the DRL2 relay from the relay box....?? Will that also work, ie are the high beam wires still working then...? ....Just a thought... :)!With Best regards
Lars G Hager
Sweden

i would definatley try removing any of the drl relays for sure, mainly the drl2 relay. I probably would have tried that for sure before wire hunting under the fuse box

it only takes a minute and maybe get lucky lol

let me know if you run into issues

cam

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Cameron,
I tried to remove DRL relay nr 2, but also head beams went dead, tried same thing with both DRL relay 3 and 4.The funny experience was that when removing DRL relay nr 3, left head beam worked as wanted ie no DRL but Head Beam. However as said only left..., the right DRL went dead, but so did the right Head Beam...?? I could not believe this was true.., can the DRL relay nr 3 really function differently for left resp. right side HIgh Beam. I put the relay back to check the bulbs..., but fact is that only left High Beam did work...?Cameron, can this phenomenon be correct..?, can it be maybe be understood by the wiring diagram You provided in earlier email?With Best regards
Lars G Häger