cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

I have a 1991 Toyota 3.0 V6 4x4 truck. I went to start it

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****: I have a 1991 Toyota 3.0 V6 4x4 truck. I went to start it today and the engine cranks but does not start. I put a new battery and battery cables and a new starter on it. I replaced the distributor cap, spark plugs and spark plug wires. I tested to make sure it has a spark. I also loosened a nut on the fuel line and had fuel spraying out. I also tried started fluid in the carburetor and it still does not start. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No. the engine just cranks and will not start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 11 months ago.

only 2 items left to check, anti theft issues, indicated by rapid flashing light on dash when attempting to start, and base timing Marks need to be checked to diagnose failed timing components.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The truck does not have any anti theft devices on it. Why/how would base timing have been altered requiring it to be checked?

My bad i thought it was a 1999 model, If you have spark and fuel ,timing needs to checked.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the truck ran fine until this morning. Why would the timing be off and need to be checked?

The timing belt may have slipped a tooth or broke upon engine shut down, this is not the only poosibility, but it needs to be ruled out, other possible issues might be a malfunctioning carburetor. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.