Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2004 Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder. I bought it a couple

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder. I bought it a couple weeks ago and it has had a little jerkiness ever since I bought it. I changed the spark plugs a week ago. They were in definite need of replacing, but this did not solve the problem. Today the engine light came on with codes 2238 and 420.
Jonathan
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before we begin, the new spark plugs...please advise what brand they are. Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
NGK

I would have recommended NipponDenso. These engines are really particular when it comes to spark plugs. This may or may not be setting the 2238 and the 420 codes. Personally, I would fit a set of NDs and run ti, then clear the codes and see if they come back. If not, you are good to go. If they do come back, replace the Air-Fuel sensor that is the very first one in the exhaust system, (right under the manifold). Use a genuine Toyota sensor. Cheaper is not as good as the genuine unit. The codes can and will come back with a 'new' non-Toyota sensor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I drove several hundred miles on these spark plugs without an engine light. As I said the jerkiness was present when I bought it, but the engine code is a new development. You didn't ask about the coil that I replaced after getting the code. I used a BWD coil. Another detail I forgot to mention is that the engine light went out on it's own for a while but no change in performance. Since putting in the new coil, the engine light has not gone out. Genuine Toyota parts are hard to come by because of shorter business hours and long distance from where we live. If you think only genuine Toyota coils will work, I will try to get a hold of one.

I would replace the Air Fuel sensor with a genuine Toyota sensor. Toyota coils out-perform non Toyota every time. Note that all of the coils share the same ground circuit. If the diode that protects ignition voltage from entering the ground circuit is bad (highly possible in new coils), you will get a stutter. Maybe not a P0300/301/302/303/304 code, but a misfire anyway. I would replace the Air fuel sensor and then go from there. Since you have this code, it needs replaced.