Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

03 Toyota 4 runner code p0174 Freeze frame Short term fuel

Customer Question

03 Toyota 4 runner code p0174
Freeze frame
Short term fuel bank 1 -11.6%
Short term fuel bank 2 20.4%
Long term fuel bank 1 -7.7%
Long term fuel bank2 29.7 %
Engine rpm 781
Coolant temp 158f
I some engine for vac leak , no leak found
Car smell in burn gas from exhaust
Engine shake no mid fire
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your 4Runner.

What repairs have you made so far in trying to fix this concern?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Exhaust smell,
Replace pvc valve
Replace right side of car a/f sensor and oxygen sensor ...
Smoke machine for vaccum leak , no leak .
Test map sensor today, map sensor was replace last year,...
Did not test 02 sensor or a/f sensor on left side of engine yet but it was replace 6 month ago

Is this a 6 or 8 cylinder?

When you replaced the A/F sensor, did you notice any oil or liquid on the connector?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
6 cylinder .... Did notice a little liquid on the connector, it not oil I don't think ..... But today I check it no liquid .... Not sure if the cat is the problem cause exhaust smell like in burn gas ... No p0420 or o0430 code

Ok that fluid does concern me and could be the cause of this. Do you see any fluid leaks like the valve cover gasket that caused the fluid to show up on the connector?

Have you tried using a can of EFI cleaner and watching the STFT and LTFT to see if they stay "normal" when the engine is running off of the EFI can vs. the fuel tank fuel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No oil leak at all, I have no try efi cleaner, but I did try to use propane in to vaccum port to see fuel trim would change, but there no change.... Oh yeah when I clear the code and start up the car the pending code would come up around less than 5 min at idle same p0174 code fuel too lean

Have you checked fuel pressure yet? Was in within specifications?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I have not Check fuel pressure yet, but I just replace right rear 02 sensor , clear code and now engine now shaking but engine come on right a way for p0031 and p0051

Ok, that would definitely lead us to checking and repairing the fuel system for either quality or pressure so that is where you will want to go next. The new codes lead to both bank 1 and bank 2.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok .... If fuel problem, what could be the cause? Fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator????? Dose this car has external fuel filter ? I know it not the fuel quality cause this happen 2 month ago and maybe been to 30 gas pump by now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will check fuel pressure next weekend
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh what a good pressure when running on this car? I could look it up ....

I know it not the fuel quality cause this happen 2 month ago and maybe been to 30 gas pump by now Correct

Fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator????? Dose this car has external fuel filter ? What we see most often at the Dealer is the fuel pump and have never had issues with the pressure regulator or filter. The fuel pressure spec is 41-42 psi at idle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I got 10psi of fuel pressure when car running......
Now I can I remove the fuel pump? Is there a access hole or tank need to be drop?

Yes, the problem is the pump and yes, the tank will have to lowered in ordered to access the fuel pump.