Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 1997 corolla,It wouldn't pass smog check,I changed

Customer Question

Hi,I have 1997 corolla,It wouldn't pass smog check,I changed the oxygen sensor,catalytic converter and put some additive to clean the injectors but still it fail 4 times up this point.The smog tech suggest to change the ECU.What shall i do to accomplished this?
thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Is the check engine light on? And, if so, do you have the codes (the reason for the light being on)? Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no engine check light

That is interesting. No check engine light....does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to the 'on' position (not to start)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
engine check light on when i turn on the key. Before i had done all these things to it ,it had engine check and when i changed the oxygen sensor i noticed that one of the wire connecting to the oxygen sensor was broken,after i fix it no more engine check

Thank you. One of the main things that can cause a smog check fail is incorrect sensors. "New" sensors that are not genuine Toyota will keep the light off, but may allow excess pollutants to escape the exhaust. Same thing with the converter. Non-Toyota converters do not work as good as the real ones. Therefore, the converting job it does is sub-par. Cheaper is not better when it comes to sensors and converters. What you need to do here is take this car to a Toyota dealer and have them attach it to their scan tool. They will then read what the systems are doing, and, this info will be compared to normal data on a 97 Corolla. Only then can they tell you what is causing the smog issue. This is exactly what I would be doing if this car was in my shop right now. I need to identify what is out of specification.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer