sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5: Parking brake pedal won't engage,

Customer Question

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5: Parking brake pedal won't engage, just springs back to off position?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

That is in the parking brake pedal assembly. It is serviced as a unit and not repairable. The little teeth on the fulcrum wear down and won't catch when the pedal is depressed.

.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, if you need them. Thanks and Happy Holidays to you.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jerry, I have to respectfully disagree. Please see attached pic. Please keep in mind that if the truck sits for a day, the pedal *will* engage but only ONCE! Something relaxes out while sitting and always engages but only after sitting and only once.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=4235904&ukey_assembly=522342

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

.

*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********

.

.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're wanting to try to repair your emergency brake assembly rather than replace it as an assembly then it will need to be removed and disassembled for inspection. You'll need to be mindful of the amount of spring tension that the parts are under while disassembling it. If it isn't locking then there is an issue with the ratchet mechanism or the teeth on the pedal side, most likely the ratchet mechanism is sticking and not engaging the pedal properly. The bracket and the pedal itself will most likely need to be replaced if you're going to disassemble it and replace components, but I expect you'll end up spending quite a bit more in parts than if you'd buy a used assembly.