Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My 2008 tundra will start then die immediately, this

Customer Question

my 2008 tundra will start then die immediately, this happened when I was wiring in some new headlights and touched a hot lead to the negative lead
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the key to the on position does the yellow check engine light illuminate? Do all the normal warning lights illuminate? Do you have a code reader to see if it will communicate with the engine control computer and pull any diagnostic trouble codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light does come on and stays on
also further developments, I let it sit for an hour after that it started, I drove it down the street and it died when I accelerated, restarted it this happened several times, then let it sit for several more hours, it would run fine but the left headlight did not work, I played around with it and found that it would run fine without the headlights on, it would sometimes die when i turned on the lights, it would also die when I put on the left turn signal, and it would also engage the starter if I put on the high beams.it seems to me that ti must had fried something when i crossed the headlight wires not sure where the left headlight, the left turn signal the high beams, the started and the run position of the ignition have a common junction??I have ordered a code reader and will have it in the next day or twoany ideas
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Based on your description it sounds like you may have disabled the charging system or blown a fuse this could also cause the check engine light to come on and when the battery gets low it will shut the vehicle off. The vehicle skid control light will come on by default whenever the check engine light comes on. When you get the code numbers post them back here and I can give you more detail on what they mean and possibly where to go with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read the codes P0335 crankshaft position A circuit malfunction and P0040 O2 Bank1 Sensor1 Swapped W/ O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1 and U3060.
also I noticed after having the doors closed fro a couple of days, I smell smoke/burnt wiring in the cab.
Fuse is not the problem most likely shorted or arced something that has some thing to do with the headlights, turn signal and the starter, probably in the ignition wiring in the steering column,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if you were going to answer the question, so far I haven't received anything from you that I hadn't already tried, the reason turned to you was that I wanted some advice that was beyond what I already knew
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Time off for the holidays did you get this problem resolved yet? If you clear these codes do they continue to keep coming right back? Have you considered eliminating the wiring for the lights that you installed to see if anything got tied to the wrong wire?