Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

The door latch console cup holder on my 2001 Avalon does not

Customer Question

the door latch for my console cup holder on my 2001 Avalon does not latch. please advise
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately I had the exact same problem on my Avalon. You cannot get the latch separate from the lid. I ended up using a piece of Velcro were it sticks one piece to the top and one to the bottom put it right along the front of the lid and it will keep the lid down cheaper than a complete lid and latches.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a simple answere, but I would like to know if it is possible for me to repair it?

In almost every one of these cases when the latch brakes you cannot repair the latch it will not hold. This is what I normally do for all customers that have the same problem and to spend a lot of money on the entire Console lid. You can buy Velcro with the key backing on both pieces of Velcro it works great and is easy to apply just make sure the surface of the console and the lid clean. It is not a complicated fix but will save the aggravation and expense of the new lid.