Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

The dealership rotated my tires on my 2006 Prius and when we

Customer Question

The dealership rotated my tires on my 2006 Prius and when we drove it home the speedo was off by 11 mph. Car read 40 and GPS read 34. So its not the Km/hr switch. Could they have damaged a sensor when rotating the tires?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 11 months ago.

Are there any warning lights on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No warning lights
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
THey reset it when they changed the oil to get the warning light for the oil off?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there.?Could they have bogeyed it up when they reset the oil warning light?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello???

It is not likely that they did anything wrong while doing the tire rotation. The maintenance light is totally different from the warning lights that indicate a problem with the ABS or vehicle skid control system. If anything got damage as far as the wiring to the wheel speed sensors which detect wheel speed the vehicle then translates that through the vehicle skid control computer or ABS computer then to the combination meter/speedometer and on to the computer there would be a code set in the system. The ABS and vehicle skid control lights would be illuminated. My recommendation would be to do a hard reset by that I mean remove both battery cables from the 12 V battery which is located in the right rear quarter panel of the trunk apply jumper wire across the two cable ends while it's isolated from the battery for about 10 minutes then reinstall the cables drive the vehicle and see if the system reset.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I disconnect the battery, and jump the positive and negative cables for ten minutes, then reconnect cables to battery. This is a reset of the system. First I will see what the dealership says first, then do your reset. I am happy with response and understand .

OK let me know how it goes. Just make sure that you place a rag or something over the top the battery so the cables and jumper wire do not contact the battery.