Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.
24034660

Alternator was bad. i changed it. i forgot to take battery

Customer Question

Customer: alternator was bad. i changed it. i forgot to take battery cable off and it arked when i took old alt off. put new alt on and now the engine won't turn over. headlights ,brakes, blinkers and horn work.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2001 tacoma .v6
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello: What has happened is the main fuse in the under hood fuse/relay box has burned you will need to replace the fuse (also its also good to check the other fuses, if other electrial items are inop. You will have to remove the 10mm bolts that are retaining the box in place then remove lower cover and then you will be able to remove the 8mm bolts that are bolting the fuse in place, (REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT NEG> CABLE FROM BATTERY WHEN REPLACING THIS MAIN FUSE) Thanks, ***** ***** me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!