Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I'm curious if it is possible to disconnect a factory alarm

Customer Question

Customer: I'm curious if it is possible to disconnect a factory alarm system from a 1996 Toyota 4Runner
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The fob would not work to unlock the doors. When I used the key to unlock the door the alarm would start and it would not turn off using the fob. The fob has a new battery. The driver's side lock core has not worked for years but would unlock using the fob. The 4runner is currently at a Toyota dealer and they have told me that the factory alarm cannot simply be disconnected and that I will need to replace the lock core to the tune of $400+ I'm curious if this sounds accurate to you?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Please allow me to assist you. The factory alarm can be removed form the vehicle. It takes some time, as there are several wire connections that are involved. The door lock core for 400 dollars is way too expensive. This sounds like they are guessing at the problem.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer