Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Found out that Midas Muffler installed an after market

Customer Question

Found out that Midas Muffler installed an after market converter on my 2009 Toyota Corolla. Check Engine light is on. Midas told me today that computer is not Happy with after market converter. That is why check engine light . Told me to replace with an OEM converter. Or they could weld a J pipe and relocate one of the oxygen sensors. Can you offer your insights? Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, it's very true... Toyota is extremely touchy when it comes to the Converter. The replacement Converter MUST meet Toyota specs. Most aftermarket Converters do not meet specs and will usually set a Check Engine Light with P0420 soon after installation. The Toyota OE Converter is definitely the best option here. It is a little more expensive, but it solves the problem. I would not suggest the welding of any extra pipes into the system or relocating any oxygen sensors. This will just more than likely cause other problems in other systems. The correct Converter for this vehicle is installed as a front pipe assembly, which is Toyota OE part number: 174100T080

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.