Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

2002 toyota camry codes 420 440 442

Customer Question

2002 toyota camry codes 420 440 442
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Looks like you have a problem in two different system here.

The P0420 is a fairly straight forward code, and a fairly common problem. This code points to a failing Catalytic Converter. The Oxygen Sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into, and then out of the converter. When they see that the converter is not "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet specs, the Converter is deemed "below threshold" and the P0420 is set. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Which, if there were, you should be able to hear. Sounding like a repeating "tick" or "puff" from the exhaust. Usually more prodominate when the engine is cold. Make sure to include the exhaust manifold when checking for leaks/cracks. If these check ok, then most commonly, the Converter is "on it's way out" and will need replacement in the near future. Keep in mind, you will need a replacement converter that meets specs. Those "universal" or "discount" converters sold at some after market parts stores do not meet specs, and will not cure a P0420.

When the P0440 and P0442 are set at the same time, this is a known problem and Toyota has issued a Technical Service Bulletin that states the most common problem will be a faulty fuel filler tube. Toyota has redesigned the fuel filler tube to correct the problem.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.