sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

04 rx330. Won't start. Has fuel, turns over, no spark.

Customer Question

Customer: 04 rx330. Won't start. Has fuel, turns over, no spark.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** the way. There are no engine codes. This happened a few weeks ago and then after a couple of hours it started. Not this time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: have to leave shortly but can check back later.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that will cause a loss of spark. You may have a wiring issue, a loss of cam or crank signal, the problem could be the engine controller itself. Cam timing will also cause a loss of spark but it shouldn't be intermittent.

During the no start situation do you actually hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?
re you able to monitor data?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I couldn't hear the pump when the key was cycled so I loosened the bolt holding the fuel line to the fuel rail and there seemed to be considerable pressure. Did not measure it though. Pulled one plug, left it attached to the coil, attached a ground wire and turned over the engine. No visible spark.

It may have been residual pressure though. Did it spray forcefully each time the key was turned on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Didn't try that. Only checked once. I'll try that tomorrow. If I was going to hook up a gauge, where would it connect? Right to that line or is there a schrader valve somewhere?

A pressure gauge could connect to the line or a T hose between the line and fuel rail, and the gauge connected to the T.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fuel pump doesn't cycle when you turn the key on but there's lots of fuel when the engine turns over.

Are you able to monitor data?