Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Working 2003 Toyota Prius, I want witch way engine suppose

Customer Question

working 2003 Toyota Prius, I want witch way engine suppose to remove up ward or down. I'm changing motor,
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

You can remove just the engine but it's extremely tight and you will need to remove the radiator and wiper cowling. Usually you have to take a water pump pulleys and crankshaft pulley off also. In the shop we take the whole assembly down out from the bottom transmission and all. If you don't have a lift that's the only option is to take it out the top.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The plate on the back of the transmission is about 2 inches thick and comes out with the engine there's nothing bolted like a torque converter or anything that has to be unbolted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im taking engine and transmission together out, I just took the main fuse out from the high volt battery, would that disconnect the 3 big yellow wires going into the Inverters. do you have the manual in pdf file i can mark what i want explain. thanx

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Right by removing the orange high-voltage plug which is a three-step procedure that will shut down the high-voltage systems to the inverter they should be orange not yellow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I remove the wiper panel

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes the plastic panel then 10 mm bolts hold the sub panel that will give you about 4 more inches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By taking a main from high voltage battery will diffuse all the electrical system also orange wires add inverter

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes If you properly disconnected the high-voltage plug and removed it from the vehicle there will be no high-voltage on the orange wires to the inverter. You should not be going very deep inside the inverter there are some large capacitors in there that could create a problem but supposed to using high-voltage gloves. Do not damage any the circuitry disconnect the cable and put tape over the hole so no contaminants get in the case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What type coolant go in the inverter and engine. Both same or different. And what type atf. Dexron.3 or some different. Thanx

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The inverter coolant and the engine coolant are the same nothing special Toyota prefers the super long life pink coolant but as long as it's a high quality coolant you will be fine. The transmission uses type T-IV transmission fluid it will take about five qts. If you have not done so please o not forget to rate my assistance at 3 or higher.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you have been great help for me, most important thing is you have responded to me, you mind if i hold off for few days i may 1 or 2 more questions

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

No problem let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back to work prius. good engine has black coolant and bad engine has pink coolant. If I use regular universal coolant would it be ok.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

yes just flush the heater hoses out with water first,