Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My 2007 tundra won't start. I thought it was the batteries

Customer Question

Customer: hi, my 2007 tundra won't start. I thought it was the batteries so bought new battery and still nothing. there is a click and nothing starts
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am thinking the engine immobilizer activated somehow. I am trying to find out how to get my truck started. spare keys don't seem to work neither
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: need to get it fixed tonight
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 12 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

A single click when turning the key to start is usually related to a starter problem, the factory engine immobilizer system still lets the engine turn over but not start up if the transponder key doesn't match and besides you have tried spare keys. The clicking noise is the starter solenoid engaging but there is a bad contact between the solenoid and the starter motor. If the battery terminals a tight and clean and the battery is new then i t sounds like the starter needs to be replaced, this is not uncommon on either the V6 or the V8 engine, unfortunately the starter is located under the intake manifold on the V8, I have replaced quite a few of these in the past, it's a big job which involves removing the intake manifold, the starter is bolted to the block st the rear in the center of the engine.