Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 2000 toyota camry left blinker stays on and hazards do

Customer Question

Customer: my 2000 toyota camry left blinker stays on and hazards do not work when automatic lights are on, when I turn them off everything works but the dash light flash when I turn the blinker onto the left. I repalced the relay and all bulbs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: there is a clicking noise when I turn the lights on and the blinker
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if this car has some type of wiring installed to connect to a trailer. Thanks

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There is a hitch but I don't know where the wiring would be.

Thank you. When we see problems like this in the shop (dash lights flashing with turn signals or brake usage), we usually find that the trailer wires have corrosion on them. Corrosion is eclectically conductive. That means if a turn signal output pin on the trailer connection is corroded to the tail light output pin, power from the turn signal socket will actually power the the taillight pin. This sends power back into the vehicle main wiring harness, and activates the dash lights. The recommendation I have for you on this request ti sot look under the rear of the car for a wire harness. When found, locate the end of it and see if there is blueish crystallization on the harness. Clean it with a soft wire brush or old toothbrush, removing as much of the crystallization as possible. If there is no wire harness found, the other common cause of this is corrosion at the base of the taillight sockets. But, since you changed the bulbs, this may not be the cause (unless you did not notice any corrosion in the base of the bulb sockets). Please check to see if you have a trailer wire connector and then please get back to me. Thanks.,.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There is no wiring harness

Did you look inside the trunk for wires that may be connected to the taillights?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ues, there is a group of wires above the wheel well on the driver's side in the trunk

The taillight wire colors are Green with an Orange stripe. Are any wires connected to any wire that is Green/Orange?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see the green wire with the orange stripe and the top looks like its open there so I can see the actual wire what do I do?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also when I turn my left blinker on the light on my clock flashes and the light that has park neutral drive that also blinks on the dashboard
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Let's disconnect the wire connector from that side tail light. The retest to see if the problem with the flickering light s continues.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I fixed it, I foun the wiring harness and I really taped the exposed wires, must have been a loose connection. It does look like the harness got hot there is melted plastic, my I did smell that one day.

Excellent. Glad you are all good now. Glad to help. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Have a great weekend