Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have been a mechanic 50 yrs. I recently changed the rings

Customer Question

I have been a mechanic for almost 50 yrs. I recently changed the rings in my Toyota HiLux motor 3y. The cylinders didn't show that much wear nor the valve guides that loose. But now it smokes worse than b4. I used original Toyota parts. The rings are chrome. I never minded using chrome rings with a rebore and new pistons. But I always used cast rings when just changing rings. I feel the chrome rings didn't seat. I would like to hear your opinion. Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 12 months ago.

Did you replace the valve seals with the factory Toyota seals? Did you hone the cylinders at all? Did you do a wet dry compression test to confirm if it is leak by past the rings or the leak down compression test?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced the valve seals. I used all Toyota original parts. I cut the ring ridge and honed the cylinders well. The valve guides didn't feel sloppy also the pistons seemed to not be excessively worn nor cylinders. I really feel the chrome rings didn't seat. Soon I will tear it down again and mic everything.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 11 months ago.

I am not a fan of chrome or aftermarket piston rings. Too many issues. When you said you cut the ring Ridge and then hone the cylinders that would indicate there was an excessive amount of cylinder wear. Was the crosshatching still visible on the cylinders or Was there a spot where the crosshatch was worn through?