Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 with 140,000 miles on it. Two days

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 with 140,000 miles on it. Two days ago I drove my car to the store, went in side, came back out and car wouldn't start. I turned the car over and there was no sound, noises, clicks etc coming from inside car or from the engine. The accessory lights came on, the radio worked, I could take the gear out of park, doors locked and unlocked, Windows went up and down, a/c fan inside car works, seats move back and forward, and gas cap pops open.
Left the car over night and went back to it in the morning, checked all fuses in engine bay. Decided to try start the car and it turned over. Drove to work, drove home 8 hours later, then decided to go to store again last night and the same thing happened. Left car there and came back this morning with AAA and car still won't turn over. Again, not a single peep out of engine. Just got car towed home this morning.
Any idea what the problem might be.
Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Does the engine at this time still not start, no noise no cranking?

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt testlight available?

It sounds like this could be a bad neural safety switch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still no noise, no cranking. Yes, have a 12 volt test light but will have to check when I get back home tonight. What specific places should I check?

We need to check voltage in and out of the park/neutral switch for the starter circuit, I'm going to refer to a wiring diagram to locate the wire colors to check. The N/S switch is located on the transmission where the shift lever attaches, there is a multi wire connector on it.

Try moving the shifter few times through all positions and see if that helps, if it does the switch needs to be replaced. I'm assuming it's an automatic transmission, if not let me know because the troubleshooting is going to be different, let me know before I go to the wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's an automatic.
Thanks

I'll get back to you in a little while.

Ok, your model may have a 7.5A starter fuse, make sure it has power in and out of it with the key in the start position, if ok go to the N/S switch, look for a black/white wire, this is the hot wire/ solid black wire goes to the starter relay then to the starter, with the key in the start position you should see voltage at the black/white wire and the solid black wire, again, the key must be held in the start position with the shifter in park.