Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

MY RAV4 2007 TOYOTA 4 CYLINDER CRUISE CONTROL LIGHTS UP BUT

Customer Question

MY RAV4 2007 TOYOTA 4 CYLINDER CRUISE CONTROL LIGHTS UP BUT DOES NOT WORK ANDF SOMETIME LIGHT FLASHES BASIC TRIES FUSE ETC WHAT NEXT --NO ENGIN ELIGHT ONLY HAD CODE FOR OXYGEN SENSOR --NOT CHANGED YETAS MILEAGE STILL OK
SBAFNA
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
dealer says diagnostic $ 100 and no guarantee when will end gave hint of past diagnostic wheel speed sensor ?? not sure need more diagnostic so need to know which sensors are essential for cruise control
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

From what I'm understanding so far the cruise control won't set, the light is on then flashes. A bad speed sensor usually causes the check engine light to turn on but you say it's not on now and I'm assuming no other warning lights are on either, if this is correct:

There are a couple of things that you can check yourself at this time before having to connect an scanner that can access the ABS cruise control systems.

Make sure the brake lights are functioning correctly, check the brake fluid under the hood.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Somehow engine light never gets on and off as used to be.......first diagnotic was done ...and dealer wanted further diagnostic for $500. Refused .....but stated brakes speed sensor problem however not committed and wanted further diagnostic for $500.......thenat auto zone crank shaft sensor code came and was replaced but no car symptoms...so if brakes ok then need detail diagnostic according to you..IS THIS CORRECT...but tell what sensors are related to cruise control as I asked already.....Brakes fluid ok wha you mean by proper functioning of brake light...apply brake and get light off brake no light what else ?????? So TWO THINGS NEEDED..AND THIRD NO ENGINE LIGHT BUT CODES WERE THERE IN PAST FOR CRANK SHAFT SENSIR AND NOT NOW AS REPLACED BUT DIAGNTIC SHOWING B2C2 CODE car mileage ok exhaust ok

The sensors related to cruise control are the speed senors, there is one for each wheel, the computer compares each wheel speed to one another, if one is off enough to be out of the assigned values, it will log a fault code that particular sensor, the locate the bad sensor requires a diagnostic tool to read live vehicle speed data.

B2C2 is not a valid fault code description, if it's B2S2 it refers to an oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter.

The reason I asked about the brake lights is that if they are not working the cruise control will not function.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brakes are good, so brake light and fluid...B2C2 WRONG ..IT WAS B1C2? ACTUALLY BOTH oxygen sensors ..codes appearef by aut zone diagnostic..is any way to fix cruise without dealer diagnotic .or .any one else having same diagnostic tool ?as dealer has and known in farmington hills MI 48334 OR NEAR BY FACILITY..cost effective..Do all wheel sensor to be working for cruise .....?no other sensor needed for cruise ...no other light on dash board all come and go after start of car as supposed to do..engine light why not coming and going I don't know

The cruise control has a seperate cpu in the main computer, the light is flashing because there is a trouble code stored in it, the cruise control system should be accessed for codes, these can come up without the check engine light turning on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. Question can we fix cruise without dealer diagnostic.?
2. Any mechanic on road side .or module of auto zone..can do ?
3..are they have limited ability ?
4. Do all wheel speed sensor required active for cruise
5. Any other sensor imp for cruise..except speed sensor ? Yes then which one also
6 Thus I have to go to dealer no short cut
7 what brakes function if bad will stop cruise brake pads rotors .?...or say what should you notice while driving car or when stopping.....turning back movement and stopping..etc
The car in road no symtom..I can notice
8 what should I ask dealer to check so not prolongs his diagnostic time in beating around the bush as handy man does when works by hrly payment ?

Ask the dealer to diagnose why the cruise control light is flashing? They will give a diagnosis as to what needs to be done or you can let me know first what the code numbers are from the computer. Yes, all wheel speed sensors have to be operational, if only the cruise control is the problem then you will not notice any symptoms except that it is not functioning, it could also be a simple problem with the cruise control switch on the steering wheel, most independent repair shops should be able to diagnose a cruise control malfunction providing they can access the system, in general autozone does not have this capability, they usually only do engine codes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you response number wise.for better understanding..thanks

No problem

Answers to each specific question:

1) Yes, most well equipped repair shops should have the tools to do this

2) Autozone does not have the capability to diagnose this correctly

3)same as question 1 (yes limited abilty)

4) Yes

5) Computer needs input signals from other sensors, like engine temperature, road speed, engine rpm, brake off signal, E- brake off signal, abs, skid control, transmission shift position signal, these should all turn the check engine light on first to render the cruise control inop.

6) refer to 1)

7) worn pads/rotors will not stop cruise control unless the brake fluid is low which causes the brake warning light to turn on, any warning light on the dash wish stop cruise control operation

8) As the dealer to do a complete scan of all computer controlled systems including ABS/VSC and cruise control, there have to be some diagnostic codes since the light is flashing, ask fo a printout and explanation of what they find and recommend doing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good but 5 not clear
My engine light is not getting on anf off as required...so besides speed sensors 4...in number what other sensor required to be active for cruise to work ..like axle traction position sensor ? was out and replaced and did not made cruise to workYour bottom 3 lines not clear of this parag...these should all turn the check engine light on first to render the cruise control inop......you mean check engine light on and then off while starting the car..but here no engine light to start..so again which other sensor except speed required for cruise to work the theoritically ?not still clear...

If the check engine light is not then the computer is not seeing a problem with any of the other sensors that would cause the cruise control to stop working, if no other warning lights are on then the problem is confined to the cruise control part of the ECM, this why only the cruise control light is flashing.

But I will attempt to give you a list of all other sensors that can indirectly cause the cruise control to stop

crank angle sensor

cam angle sensor

o2 and air/fuel ratio sensors

engine temp sensor

throttle position sensor

acclelerator postion sensor

transmission shift position sensor

E brake position sensor

Brake signal sensor

brake fluid level sensor

vsc/trac control input sensors (wheel speed sensors)yaw rate and accel/decel sensors

mass airflow sensor

steering angle sensor

Hope this clears it up for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Finally I got worth ..now pl tell me which sensor if bad will affect driving of car and can ferl.something is erong ..as I have no symtom while driving stopping turning back driving..no lights ON DASH BOARD PERMANENT ....oil. seat belt. P/S. Door ABS. Auto lsd. Brakes. Battery..these icon
light comes while starting car and diappeard once started..engine light icon I don't know where it is ?..any other icon on dash board .....?

These are the sensors that can affect deiveability:

The first six I listed above

plus the mass airflow sensor

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think last que?
1. Where are you located and what you do right now
2 Which mechanic besides dealer is capable of finding problem cost effective. Like Firestone NAPA. SPEEDY FIRESTONE Goodyear. In MI 48334 Nearby area...metro detroit....3. though I ok without cruise ..Is any problem in near future while driving car if cruise not fixed

No, there is no problem in the future if cruise is not fixed. I'm in southern california, tire stores in most cases are kind of limited when it comes to technical problems requiring in depth diagnosis involving computer operated systems, sorry, can't really recommend any of them, try to find a good independent shop that specializez in Japanese cars.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you presently working - in Toyota dealer service or retired-----?

Retired from automotive industry.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi developmentby diagnostic mechanic says Rt rear wheel sensor needs replacement and then stability module control reprogramming both $ 400 and states that by this code open stop light and antilock brake coming will dis appear and also ABS though ABS light is not coming you agree the I will get it done or price should be less========Is there something like stability control module reprogramming or just fluke--thanks

The price sounds about right, after replacing abs/skid control components it is necessary to recalibrate the yaw rate/acel and decel sensors (all in one unit)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not replacing abs/ skid control only right rear wheel sensor and reprogramming stability control ...module ???? and says
by this open stop light and ABS will get rectified
how we got idea of replacing abd/ skid control component-
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
$ 400 sounds too much how rear wheel sensor should cost alone- parts and labor separately idea??not west cost r calibration but by poor Michigan state

I don't know who are dealing with, is it a Toyota dealer or independent shop, the dealer charges around $100 per hour pretty much every where, figuring the sensor is about $120 or so plus 1 hour to diagnose, 1/2 hour to replace it and one hour to recalibrate, comes to about $400. You may be able to find the sensor at a place like autozone or online for less, then have it installed and recalibrated.

Also an independent repair shop usually charges less for labor than the dealer and they may negotiate a little and the total cost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mechanic says after replacing rear right wheel sensor and programming stability module
other code will disappear which came as domino effect ABS, stop break light, traction control Is it true ?what other cpdes will appear when right wheel speed sensor is bad-- or stability module is of proper programming?

Yes, once the malfunctioning speed sensor is replaced, the memory can be cleared and no other codes should come back on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did not get recent responsive as web page not there comes when clicked view answer

Ok, let me try again then

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi
I am not getting new response as comes server not found web page not available last few days so send to this link rather than separate link of last 2-3 questions

Ok, let me try again then

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I AM NOT GEETING ANY RESPONSE AFTER THIS. SAYS WEB PAGE NOT AVAILABLE SERVER NOT AVAILABLE...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Last 3 -4 response could not be opened
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 11 months ago.

once the malfunctioning speed sensor is replaced, the memory can be cleared and no other codes should come back on

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Last 4 response Web page can' t be opened Now I got new person all confused..Redd Ritter last 4 response unable to open ....we're in right track now all gone.....new person new charge ..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Speed sensor right rear wheel replaced one time cruise eorked...programming removed all codes .....stop brake light..abs etc...oxygen sensor code was there but not replaced as no symptoms...now cruise worked one time and again started flashing and nor working...what now ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all right right real wheel speed sensor changed all codes disappeared made to disappear and stability control reprogrammed
Oxygen B1S2 CODE WAS there but sensor not changed as no symptoms-while driving- cruise worked one time again started flashing now what to do gave carr back to mechanic while changing right rear wheel sensor gave 12 month warranty for cruise ---but now ..not working--only at some palce I read Ox sensor may affect cruise --not sure ??.next option/
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
unable to get response opend web page not available
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Different expert here. If you still need assistance on this request, please reply. I believe I can help you