Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna Van. Today the VCS and Trac Off

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna Van. Today the VCS and Trac Off lights came on causing the check engine light to flash on and off. The engine runs rough. What is the possible problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Sienna.

Have you had a chance to pull codes from the ECU yet?

Have you had any work/maintenance performed recently to try and fix this concern?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no.no recent work

Well, the best part (if you can say that) is these light and codes will all be related to the same problem. That is the running rough and the check engine light flashing. This flashing light can only be cause by a Type 2 engine misfire. The type 2 designation means that damage can be done to the catalytic converter and the vehicle should not be driven.

Have you ever had the spark plugs replaced?

Do you plan on working/fixing this Sienna yourself or are you going to use a repair shop?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have not had the spark plugs changed. I will be taking it to a repair shop.

That's good news because this most likely is a simple repair. They will check to verify the concern and should come down to a simple maintenance tune up. Please only install Denso or NGK brand plugs and have them pull codes just to be sure that there are no other faults besides the misfire.

Does this make sense?