Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Is advice free
, 1999 Avalon. Not driven days. When

Customer Question

Customer: is advice free
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 1999 Avalon. Not driven for 5 days. When opened alarm went off - now wont start. removed fuse for horn but alarm wont let it start. Do not have FOB key
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: maybe - pay first I suppose
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 12 months ago.

Getting help here is not free, there is a one time fee that you have already paid. Once you get the help you were looking for you rate the answer and the tech gets a portion of that fee. Do you wish to continue?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ive been charge $20 already - how do I get the advice now? Noone is replying
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hello hello hello?

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Sorry for the delay I was helping another customer that replied prior to you.

Does your vehicle have an aftermarket alarm, immobilizer, or remote start? If so disable them and see if that helps.

Normally an alarm that goes off immediate after opening a door means the car has sensed unauthorized entry. Like a door ajar sensor going bad. most often just inserting the key into the ignition and turning it to the run position resolves this. I assume that failed to work based on your comments. So we are left with verifying the battery voltage is good at 12.6 volts and a reset. Disconnect both battery cables, hold them together for 1 minute then reconnect. Then lock unlock the door with the key and try both keys in the ignition. If it still fails then a sophisticated diagnostic tool is needed for diagnosing and reprogramming.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Are you saying this will reset it? we tried to disconnect black teminal for a few minutes and reconnect - did not work. Tried on off ignition several times. You say disconnect terminals and "hold together 1 minute" - pls explain

Yes removing the battery cables and holding them together does reset the computer. Also check the battery voltage.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If this still doesnt work and voltage is good? WHat next? should I Try to get FOB to wrk w new battery. tried once fob worked a while then quit. Worth trying again to perhaps allow fob to reset alarm?

You can try a fob though I doubt it will work based on what you have told me. Next would be like I described prior. A scan tool needed.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
must the conversation end today?

The post does not time out and close for 7 days. The only thing that changes when a post closes is, I no longer can see a reply from you. If you rate prior to then, the post never closes.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
does that mean that I cannot continue chat tomorrow if for whatever reason I still need advce?

The post does not time out and close for 7 days.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris