Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My name is crystal and I am have issues with the wires that

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** I am have issues with the wires that are behind the lh
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I need a color code or something that tells me the direction of how to connect the wiring from the main wiring that runs past the radiator towards the 3 boxes(fuses and DRL) I had to cut out this entire section in between becuase it causht on fire.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I dont have the money to take it to the shop and it is so difficult for me to know where ecverything goes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have everything connected to the Engine Room R/B No. 1, J/B No. 2, and the fusible link block boxes already...my issues are on the main wiring harness from those points to where it is in front of the radiator. Sorry, It is a 1999 Toyota Camry. I have no money and this is my only car. I dont have any other options than this. Well, a fire started behind my drivers (LH} and melted the wires so I had to cut out the portion that I mentioned above. I was able to get the portion of the wiring harness from the black boxes mentioned above to the problem area. well now I have no idea how to connect the remaining wires, including how to connect the Engine Room R/B No 2 to the wires, and the headlight, etc. some of it is obvious because there are only 1 of each from the old wiring to the new, so that was easy. But the rest is so hard because I am having the hardest time reading the wiring diagrams because I have no clue as to where the rest of the things in them are located or even what they look like. I know this is asking a great deal but this is really the only option due to my limited(extremely) funds and knowledge. PLEASE HELP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are some pictures of what I am talking about if this helps at all. I am holding them in the area that the left headlight goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to keep adding more but I am trying to be as detailed as possible so that I am easier to understand. One thing that I don't know what to do with a wire is a R/Y coming from the R/B No. 2, because I am not seeing this wire anywhere in the main wiring harness, then in the main wiring harness there are 2 W/B that are exactly the same which I realize that they are ground but, the same is coming from the R/B No. 2 and the new part of the harness coming from R/B No. 1 and J/B no 2 also has these and so I I know if they all go together or if one comes from main relays to R/B No 2 or from R/B No. 2 to old sections. Like I dont understand if there is direction etc. I know that this is very complicated but I can learn and take direction fairly well. Thank you for reviewing my question... I know its very complex
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Let's start wioth what does not work. Then we will go thru this one wire at a time. Be advised that thsi is going to take a while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sounds good to me. I just hope that I don't drive you nuts with this

Does the engine start?

The first thing we need to do is verify how many WHITE with a BLACK STRIPE wires you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, coming from the main fusebox side I have 3 W/B , each having single silver notches dotted every inch or so down the wire. They all have the same thickness as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the engine doesnt start right now because I took the battery out. But when the fire occurred I could not get it to start again. but the accessories, etc turned on.

Would you happen to have a DC volt=ohm-meter?

Traditionally, all of the wires that are GROUND wires are White with a black stripe. The silver dots have no importance. The only exception to this rule is engine ground wires form the computer. Those are solid brown. But solid brown wires could be elsewhere. ....

I caution you on any wires that you bare the insulation and splice together. Taking two wires and twisting them together creates a weak spot where they join. I would hope you have access to a soldering gun to do all of this right. If you know how to properly splice wires, good. If not, I can explain that too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shouldve put this with the first but the existing wires that are in the harness from radiator area of wiring harness has 2 thinner W/B and 1 W/B with the same thickness as from the fuse box feed. The R/B no. 2 has 1 thin W/B and 1 thick W/B. There are no brown wires what so ever that are needing to be connected. I dont have a soldering iron but I can definitely get one from a friend.

Are all of the wires that are disconnected in the radiator area?

Here are some colors (stop me if you already know this):

LEFT Turn Signal: Green/black stripe

RIGHT Turn Signal: Green/Yellow Stripe

Radiator fan motor: Solid Blue

AC Fan Motor: Black with red stripe and solid Red

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, the fan has a plug on the end with the new part that is coming from the fuse box side so I unplugged the messed up one and plugged in the new. the existing wires have the blue but the other end no longer has the blue beyond the plug

2 SOlid Black wires: there are power into the panel from the 100 amp ALT fuse main buss. This powers the panel with the ST relay in it. Same panel, power IN, is a Black with a red stripe from the 50 amp HTR fuse main buss. This powers the Engine Main Relay socket

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im gonna make a diagram that shows what I have wiring wise if that will help

awesome

Whilst you do that, let's talk splices. You do not want to take two wires side by side and twist them together.

Take one wire in each hand. Match the wires 1/2 of the way down the uninsulated part. Then mate the wires to form an X. The wrap each of the wires (the top of the X back onto the other wire). Keep wrapping the wires around the other wire. In other words, they wrap back onto each other. You do not want 'bunny ears' twisted together. One the X has been achieved and the wires are properly twisted, the wires should look joined together as if just the insulation was missing on a single wire in the middle. Then solder and tape. When soldering, heat the wire with the gun. Then touch the solder to the wire. Do not touch the solder to the tip of the gun. That cools the wires and you get a cold solder joint that will break or will not adhere the wires together. Never use crimp connectors unless you really have to. And, when you do, solder and tape them too. .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay here are the existing wires from the radiator area

OK. Got it. I assume all of these wires are in front of the radiator area, and move from the passenger side fo the car to the driver side. Yes?

If you havd a voltmeter or a test light, we would be in business. The Black/red wires feed power. 2 wires leave thew fused side of the 100 amp ALT fuse and feed the fuse panel under the dash. Another Black/Red feeds the engine main relay stationary contact. Green/WHite are the horns

There are a few other wires that you have listed that could be one thing or they could be another. I am hesitant to tell you exactly where they go because I cannot see the car. Your best path at this point is to strip the Harness back so you can trace all of your wires from their destination across to the driver side. Then I can tell you where they go,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I have for the R/B no 2

RB2:

Red/yellow: Coil side ot DIM relay Socket 3

Red/Black: Stationary contact side of DLT relay socket 1 this goes to the headlamps

Thick white/Black: Most likely goes to the daytime running light resistor (not sure) To Ground

White/Black: DRL relay 4 moveable contact socket 2 To Ground

Red #1: Coil side of DRL #4 relay socket 2 leads to Daytime running light module in the car

Thick red: not sure

Red #2 not sure

Thic k red/Blue: Most likely drom socket one (stationary contact of the DRL #4 relay to the headlamps (not 100% sure)