Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1993 Toyota celica GT 2.2l The timing belt broke

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Toyota celica GT 2.2l The timing belt broke about 1 month ago so I had the belt, water pump , tensioner pullies replaced. when I got it back was running fine but temp wanted to go up so I replaced the thermostat and radiator cap filled it up and the car ran great DROVE ABOUT 60MILES multiple stops got home parked it and later nothing engine would crank but no run.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 12 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

When the engine is cranking does it do so normally like it has compression or faster than normal? Have you checked to see if it's getting spark to the plugs?

Does it try to start at all, back fire, cough etc?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Cranks normally compression Is fine. Will crank up and run in an idle only. #1 plug wire is firing in crank mode but when it starts #1 stops firing 23 and 4 plugs are firing normally.

Thanks for the reply, have you checked the distributor cap and rotor?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have put 2 new complete distributors including cap and button and coils in it no change

The only thing I can think of right now is to make sure the timing belt did not jump on the gears, so I would start by checking the belt timing visually.

That's I all got right now and I have to be offline for a couple of hours, if it's more urgent than that you can request another expert to help you without rating my answer.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I set #1 to TDC and the rotor button lined up perfectly.

Ok thanks for the reply

While it is running does the check engine light stay on, have you checked for any diagnostic codes using the check connector under the hood.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No check engine lite. No I have not check for any codes either

Just to be sure try to see if there are any diagnostic stored stored using the check connector.