Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2002 Land Cruiser. In the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi - my name is ***** *****. I have a 2002 Land Cruiser. In the past few days the VSC Trac light and audible signal come on and about half the time the ABS starts braking. It has done this on straight dry pavement. After a few seconds and touching the brake normal operation resumes. Ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really- that's everything I know It happens at highway speeds
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds quite a bit like you have a problem in either one of the wheel speed sensors, or the device that is attached to the wheel hub that the wheel speed sensor "reads". When speed RPM is critical to the operation of the VSC and the ABS. Normally, when we see a vehicle with this issue come into the shop, we usually find an issue with one of the sensors. The recommendation here is to not replace the sensors until the faulty one is discovered. This can easily be done by a Toyota tech with the Toyota scan too. He can hook the tool to the vehicle and read trouble codes, and then he can do a real time test, by road testing the vehicle and monitoring the individual readings on each of the wheel speed sensors. When one does nto match the others in a straight line, that is the one that needs attention. It is almost impossible to determine which sensor you need to investigate without the real-time data and any diagnostic trouble codes. The recommendation I have for you here would be to take the vehicle to a dealer and have the ABS/VSC diagnosed. Once the data is extracted from the ABS/VSC computer memory, the situation will be much easier to fix. Random replacement of the sensors is guessing, and could get expensive/replacing good sensors that are nto causing the problem. An accurate diagnosis will save you a lot of money.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer