Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

On my 2004 Toyota Tacoma neither gh beams or low beams work

Customer Question

On my 2004 Toyota Tacoma neither high beams or low beams work the only way I have headlights is to pull the dimmer switch all the way back and hold it. It's not the dimmer switch I've checked it by swapping one out of another truck same year that is working fine all fuses are fine relays are fine new bulbs still do not have headlights. Any advice on what else it could be?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I am not sure I understand the problem totally. Are you saying that the headlamps do not come on at all, but Will come on if you pull the headlamp stick towards you?Is thsi correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the dash an cab lights work. Tail lights work as they should and blinkers work fine also

On this vehicle, the headlamp relay receives power at all times form a direct line from the battery. The headlamp relay energizes when a ground is applied. The headlamp switch allows a ground to be applied to the headlamp relay coil. This energizes the coil and allows power to flow to the 10 amp HEAD RH and the HEAD LF fuses. This allows the headlamps to illuminate. A separate ground from the dimmer portion of the headlamp switch allows either High or Low beams. Pilling the stick towards you also allows a ground and activates the High beams. Since you have no headlamps, I would first be looking at whether or not the headlamp switch is delivering a ground to the headlamp relay. This would need to be tested via a continuity tester. In the headlamps on position, you should have a complete circuit to ground from the RED/BLUE wire on the back of the headlamps switch when it is turned on. Back probe the connector to determine the continuity