Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.
24034660

Starter staying engauged

Customer Question

starter staying engauged
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 1 year ago.

Is the starter staying engaged after engine is running, or when key is turned off? Thanks please advise

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but not when turned off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also smell gass doesnt want to crank

Ok then I will need you to remove the cover from the under-hood fuse/relay box (drivers side) under the lid is labled to show the posistion of all relays, you will then see the starter relay, start the engine,then if starter is still engaged remove relay (pulling-upwards on relay to remove it) and see if starter disengages, Then advise (this procedure is so we can see if it a starter issue, or a relay issue or ignition switch issue) Please advise me after you perform this. Thank-you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it kept runing after pulling lots of gass smell didnt want to crank

So you are saying starter stayed engaged after you removed relay, and engine was idling, and you also smell gas? Correct? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Then what we have here is a bad starter (the solenoid part of the starter) It is shorted causing it to keep applying voltage to the main starter motor, thus keeping starter engaged, and at the same time it is sending a signal back thru system demanding for the injectors to supply more fuel (this accounts for the gas smell. See when you turn key to start posistion starter turns over engine, and computer sends signal to injectors to apply more fuel that is needed to start engine, You need to replace complete starter assemby, Thanks, ***** ***** me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks you were a lot of help

Thank-you!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He was very helpful. I would definitely us use this service again. Thank you
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 12 months ago.

Thank-you very much! Have a great day!