Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Do I pay

Customer Question

Good evening do I pay for it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

This is not a free site, What exactly is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Toyota is 1998. Mileage abovo 12000 maintenance level medium of the car but not perfect. For a while while driving the Toyota corola 4 cylender automatic it Cuts out looses power for a second.It happens above 40 miles.i tried buying emgne motor treatment and pour it in the engine before filling -8 gallons of gas.after two hours driving no improvement.thats it in couple words.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

What is the total mileage on the car at this point? Are you using large amounts of oil between oil changes? More than 2 quarts? Check engine light been on recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mileage 115000. I go to standard oil mechanic shop.they provid atamdard oil change for a high mileage car.perhaps this mean I do t use large amount of oil. I drive the car in town less 300 miles a week. Engine light hasn't been on for the last month.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Can you get to a nearby AutoZone or similar parts store where they do free malfunction code reads unless you live in Virginia or California. In that case you can purchase a generic code reader these days for less than $50. I recommend everybody have one in the glovebox. It will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees. We need to know what code is set in the computer causing the check engine light to come on. To this could be related to the hesitation. Is that something you will be able to do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to attend auto zone today.neither buy it for 50$. I dont expect an concrete answer.i expect a couple of alternatives from your experience. Could it be the sense or section. Could it be the carborator. Can I drive it close to 200 miles in the next 24 hours without breaking the car. Once again there is no light on so even if the AutoZone approach is applied there wont be an answer.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Even if the check engine light is not on it is time there would be code set in the history portion of the computer. If you could get those at some time that would be helpful. That being said provided the check engine light has not started to flash and you're not noticing any gross loss of power but just a slight hesitation on acceleration you should be fine to continue to drive the next day or two. This does not have a carburetor it is fuel injected more than likely what you're going to find and what is the most common problem is the mass airflow sensor is probably contaminated. Cleaning it and or replacing it may resolve the problem but without proper codes and testing of the system is hard to say for sure. An average shops will charge about $50 to remove the sensor and clean it. Or you could just do a search on YouTube there are plenty of on videos on how to do this yourself. This may solve the problem for you. Let me know how it goes or if you need any other input.