Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I just had a timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2003

Customer Question

I just had a timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2003 Toyota Tundra. I was charged to remove and replace each separately as well as removing and replacing the radiator. Is this the proper way to charge for this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Is this the 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an 8-cylinder
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Great, thanks!
Ok, when replacing the Timing Belt, the Radiator DOES need to be removed to gain the clearance needed to work on the belt. On this vehicle, the timing belt runs the water pump, so if replacing the timing belt and water pump at the same time- the water pump does NOT get billed separately. The Labor Time Guide calls for 3.5 hours to replace the Timing Belt and ADD .3hr to replace the Water Pump while in there. So all total, belt and pump should have been bill as 3.8 hours (Expect to pay for a full 4 hours labor here, as most shops round up to the nearest hour to accommodate for any unforeseen problems that may arise). If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and was wondering if there was anything else I could do for you in reference to this issue? Did you have any further questions?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..