Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2011 Tacoma dual cab 4wd 4.0l V-6. HVAC is stuck in defrost.

Customer Question

2011 Tacoma dual cab 4wd 4.0l V-6.
HVAC is stuck in defrost. Heat/Cool controls work fine. Can still turn A/C on and off. Recirculating button/system does not work.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like the air-mix servo motor on the passenger side of the heater box has seized up or has failed. Try having someone move the control from defrost to heat and back whilst you tap on the servo motor with a small hammer; do not hit it hrd, it will break. Sometimes, tapping allows a seized motor armature to break free.

The Recirc button does nto work as long as the unit is in defrost mode. This is by design.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the manual heat/cool selector and the manual air flow selector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the auto climate control like other models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see if I can give that a try. What is the best way to gain access to the servo? Passenger side?

Under the dash on the passenger side. The servo is on the side of the big box in the center. about 1/2 way up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that didn't seem to work. It there a relay or a fuse associated with the servo operation? From the research I can find if the servo is getting stuck or going out it usually makes a noise or slows down or slowly gives out. It normally doesn't just quit. Everything worked perfect with no issues, no noise or anything and it just quick suddenly. This leads me to believe it might be an power issue.As I said everything else with the HVAC works fine. Heat/cool control, fan/fan speed etc..Please let me know if there is a relay I can swap out that controls the power to the servo for air selector.Thanks,

If all of the other functions on the heater & AC system works properly, the servo is usually the main issue. This particular servo has an amplifier built into it. If it fails, there will be no typical 'bad servo' noises. Check for power going into the servo motor on any of the wires except the white/black one (it is the ground). If you have power, the system is good and the servo is bad.