Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I had a rear wheel bearing replaced on my 2008 Toyota tundra

Customer Question

I had a rear wheel bearing replaced on my 2008 Toyota tundra and now the abs,vsc,and skid control lights are on,is there a way to test the wheel speed sensors with just a ohm meter
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Unfortunately, the sensors cannot be tested with only an ohm meter. You can read a resistance value form the sensor, but, that only tells you the windings that surround the magnet are good. In order to properly test a sensor like this, you need access to an oscilloscope, or a scan tool that is high enough in capability to 'read' the indivual wheel speed sensors in real time. Not all scanners do this. Of course, the Toyota scan tool at a Toyota dealer service department will read all 4 wheel speed sensors. If you do not have an oscilloscope, and you want an accurate diagnosis, the Toyota svc dept is your best bet. Normal causes of sensor failure are people beating on the hubs to remove the wheel bearings, excess rust particle buildup whre the sensor resides, broken or misplaced sensor during reassembly, or the toothed gear that the sensor 'reads' is damaged. If the ABS/VSC/Trac lights are on after a wheel bearing replacement, and it was not on when you took it in, they broke something or did something to cause the problem.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer