Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 2000 camry with PO 401 code just came up. Easy or

Customer Question

I have 2000 camry with PO 401 code just came up. Easy or expensive solution?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A P0401 code indicates an insufficient EGR flow. Usually, this is caused by a stuck EGR valve, a bad vacuum switching valve, A bad EGR transducer, a cracked EGR vacuum hose, or a combination of any of the above. When the EGR vacuum sources are suspect, it is usually best to replace all three units. This can cost over 400 dollars to replace everything. Based on experience, you either have a stuck closed EGR valve or a bad vacuum switching valve that opens the EGR. I would consider replacing the EGR vacuum switching valve, but only after running a can of really good fuel injection cleaner thru the system via a product put into the fuel tank. We use a product called BG 44-k. Put a can in the tank and drive it. The cleaner will clean the carbon out of the EGR passages. Well worth the 25 dollar investment, and beats needlessly replacing EGR parts that may not be bad.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer