Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2002 Prius. When driving it, some lights came on.

Customer Question

P.S. Battery check engine picture of the car with a arrow thru it. it was red.
Does this mean I have a bad battery? It has been sitting in my garage for 2 1/2 weeks, not being driven. Could it just need a charge?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

While you were driving was there any difference in the steering? Harder to turn the wheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not really
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the info chart in the dash, it shows chage going into the battery. The battery was rebuilt less than 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still here?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

typing answer... hang in there...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. This sounds like it is going to be a problem in the Charging System. If the gauge on the dash is showing that the Alternator is charging the battery, make sure that charge is between 13-14v. Anything less, and the Alternator is not charging the battery enough and will need to be replaced. You can double-check this with the use of a volt meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. Again, the reading should be 13.2-14.4v. If not, or if fluctuating, this is a faulty Alternator. If the Alternator tests ok, then the battery will need to be tested. "Rebuilt" batteries aren't always the best... and if it were 2 years ago... there's a strong chance there is a "dead cell" from sitting those 2 1/2 weeks and is no longer accepting the full charge from the Alternator. If you do not have access to a volt meter, most local big-chain parts stores, like AutoZone will run both tests for you absolutely Free. Make sure to inspect the battery terminal connectors at this time and make sure they are tight and free of corrosion as well. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..