cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

1998 Toyota Avalon - Engine would turn but will not start as

Customer Question

1998 Toyota Avalon - Engine would turn but will not start as if there is no fuel going in. Turn it off and try to start again. Then on the second or third try, then the engine fires up or start.
After a week it is getting more start attempt. As if a dry start or as if it there was no gas going in. But after it started on that day, no more problem for that day. The next day is the same hard start again.
Somebody say fuel filter...
Category: Toyota
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Actually I would suspect a failed fuel pump relay, or a failing fuel pump not producing enough fuel pressure, the fuel pump relay should provide a 2 second prime of the fuel system, which the system should maintain until the engine starts. A failed check valve in the fuel pump could be allowing a bleed off of the fuel pressure, both of these conditions can be confirmed with a fuel pressure test at the repair facility of your choice. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not ,please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.