Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

How many catalytic converters are on a 2006 Toyota Sienna?

Customer Question

How many catalytic converters are on a 2006 Toyota Sienna ? Will vehicle breakdown if I run with bad cat converters ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. There is one catalytic converter on the 2006 V6 Sienna model. If the catalytic converter is indeed bad, and neglected, over time, the catalyst material inside the metal housing will break apart. This will lead to the pieces of the catalyst material getting forced into the muffler, where it can block the muffler up. This will cause an extreme loss o power and cause the vehicle to be almost undriveable. It would be prudent to replace a documented bad converter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got to hear from our regular Mech, there are three cat converters so am a bit confused now. That aside, I have an upcoming long drive say about 2k, after which I plan to change the converters. In such a situation is it ok to change after the long travels.

The picture in the service manual shows one converter. There are other things that look like converters (resonators) but only one cat. What makes your mechanic think the converter is bad? Converter failures are rather rare these days.