Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My name is ***** *****, and i am having some perplexing

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, and i am having some perplexing troubles with my motor. The valve guides on my old head were bad, and it ended up being cheaper for me to just get a new cylinder head, so i did. it sat for about 3 weeks before i was able to get the new head on. I just got it on, put in fluids, and tried to start it. Got a cough/ sputter, then it went back to sputtering. i checked the timing, it was spot on. I checked each of the ignition coils and spark plugs, all good. I checked the fuel, all good. Still no start.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I know that the fuel pump should come on (to pressurize) when you turn it to the on posiiton. However, it doesn't, it only comes on after you try to crank it. Instead, there is a slight hum ( sounds like a computer fan almost), that hums when you first turn it on, and once you turn it off, there is a click
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure thing
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a bit of additional information: twice, the full system shorted out when i was trying to crank it. i disconnnected the battery, and retried, and i was able to crank it again. I am also getting a CEL code P2111. I'm gonna take off the throttle and clean and check the system, but im not sure that is the reason it wont start.Also, the humming noise i hear comes from the right side (toward transmission), and sounds like both the hum and the click (when you turn the key off) come from inside the transmission/ motor area
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please identify the year, model and engine in the Toyota you are working on; thanks.