Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2008 automatic FJ Cruiser and recently when

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 2008 automatic FJ Cruiser and recently when attempting to put it in***** nothing happens, no lights turn on. It is hard to tell if it is engaging in 4 wd or not as I do not use it too often (I know I should be doing it once a month at least... but havent). Although, a month ago I went to put it in 4wd, and I had to engage it 2 or 3 times, but the lights came on and it worked. Next day I tried again and no lights despite many times of trying to get it to engage. Now, a month later, tried again, and still no lights.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The primary reason that there is no 4wd indication or shifting is most likely that the engagement motor inside the transfer case is stuck in the 2WD mode due to inactivity. When we see this in the shop, the first thing we do is raise the vehicle up on a hoist. Then, whilst one tech shifts the transfer from 2 to 4, another tech taps on the back side of the transfer case with a mallet. Sometimes (about 70-75%), this tapping loosens the seize condition on the internal shift motor, and it works just fine. I would recommend this before you do anything else. Also....Tires are very critical to proper 4WD engagement. If you have 2 new tires on the front, and two worn tires on the rear, the 4WD will not engage properly. This is because the front tires (being new) have a greater outer circumference than the worn tires (if you have 2 new and two worn, OR a mismatch or tire sizes aor tire brands. Ie a Goodyear tire outer circumference (new) may be 81 inches. The same size tire form Michelin may be 82 inches around. This binds the transfer case motor and prevents it from engaging due to the internal bind cause by different tire sizes. 1/2" is very critical hera nd is all it take s to bind the transfer shift motor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer