Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My name is ***** ***** K. I have a 98 Toyota Sienna that

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** K. I have a 98 Toyota Sienna that makes a mechanical motor like noise when I first turn the ignition, just before starting the car. I have always heard it, but now it is much louder. I'm thinking it's something I should fix or replace before it completely fails. I'm thinking electric fuel pump, but it sounds like it's coming from under the hood. Do you know what it could be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No that's it. A noise that has recently become louder just before starting the engine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'll come back later and try again when I have more time. I'm surprised to get any response at all. Thanks.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I would not think you have a fuel pump issue; as the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank

Please allow me to give you some possibilities:

My initial feeling is you have some worn out bearings inside the starter motor. If there was a problem in other areas under the hood, you should hear the noise all of the time. You could also have a bad starter drive (the part that fits into the teeth on the engine flywheel to make it spin over. Either way, you would need to consider replacement of the starter motor. I would get this diagnosed and rectified as quick as possible, you do not want to be caught with a no-start condition if the starter motor fails completely at the most inopportune moment.