Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

How can I determine what code po172 means?

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello it means bank one of the engine is running rich for some reason, you didn't mention the type of Toyota or engine size,year etc to be more specific.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2000 Toyota 4Runner with a 3.4 lire engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You still there?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok it means bank 1 cylinders 1,3,5 is indicating the engine is running rich, if the engine is running normally and has higher mileage it could be a defective oxygen sensor for that bank, If it has other codes or indicating both sides are running rich, then it would be a different issue and set code P0175 as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No satisfied at all
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Im not sure what other information you would like to know, it can be caused by several things if the engine is running poorly, fuel injector leak, volume air flow sensor, fuel pressure to high to name a few. I need more information to give you a more detailed answer

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did you still want help? What are you trying to do? Fix yourself or know what to expect at a shop? Thanks.