Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2014 camry will not start as it looks like the engine

Customer Question

My 2014 camry will not start as it looks like the engine immobilizer has kicked in. I do not know how to disable the feature in order to start my car
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry you are having thsi problem. Please allow me to asssit you. The immobilizer is the main anti-theft device in your Camry. It is there to prevent the engine being started by potential thieves. With that being said, one cannot 'disable' the immobilizer. Allowing this would render the entire anti-theft system useless.

There are several things that can cause the car to not start, which are immobilizer related:

Having both keys in the car, or, keys form another Toyota in the car whilst trying to start.

Someone has replaced a part under the dash or steering column for some reason and did not reprogram it.

The immobilizer computer has lost the frequency for the key

The key is not correct for the car (ie cut but not programmed)

In order to restore the car to start, the car needs to be towed to a Toyota dealer where they can diagnose the issue with their electronic scan tool and reprogram anything that needs this. No repair attempt should be done by an independent shop, as they will not have the reprogramming software....there is nothing one can do in their driveway to defeat the system.