Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 99 Tacoma 2.7 has no fire in 1 and 4 cylinders. Replaced

Customer Question

My 99 Tacoma 2.7 has no fire in 1 and 4 cylinders. Replaced coil pack same results. 2 and 3 coil pack fires fine. Can you help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please swap the 1 and 4 coil with the 2 and 3 coil and see if the misfire changes.

If not, check for power at the Solid RED wire on the malfunctioning coil wire connector. You should have battery voltage. Then check the solid BROWN wire for direct continunity to ground. If you have power and a ground, the only other item in the equation is the electronic control unit. That would be very rare, one side works and the other does not. I think you have either a bad coil or a wiring connection problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already installed a new coil on the 1 and 4 side and am not sure how to check for voltage and ground. do I go to the battery for the other contact. Also both of the center wires look brown to me. Thanks

Turn the key on. Connect the ground or black probe to the negative battery post. Connect the pointed or red probe to the Red wire. You should have battery voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply I think I will just have it towed to a mechanic as I don't have many skills. Thanks Ron

Ok. That would be better. Let a pro handle it if you are not sure as to what to do