Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2011 Toyota Camry. One of the windows will go down about 4

Customer Question

2011 Toyota Camry. One of the windows will go down about 4 inches then stops. When I try to close it, it will go up to the top and then come back down the 4 inches. It is possible to get it to stay up if I inch it up to almost completely closed. This happens when either of the switches for this window are used. Ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JUst Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like the jamp protection circuit is activating inside the window motor when the glass goes up and then back down.

This is caused by either a bad window motor, or, there is a lot of dirt in the rubber 'tracks' that the glass slides up and down in. If you drive in dusty areas, and the rubbers gets wet, the dust can build up and actually act like 'brakes' on the glass. The more the glass is impeded form moving, the more apt the motor is to overheat a bit to activate the jam circuit

The first thing I would do, if this car was in my shop, would be to spray some 100% pure Silicone spray (available at auto parts stores) down along the edges of the glass where the rubber is. Run the window up and down, wiping any residue off with a paper towel. If the problem is just too much dirt in the rubber track, the glass will start to move easier as the glass moves. If the silicone does not work, I would recommend replacement of the window motor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer