Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My 1994 Toyota had a head gasket. I had a friend change the

Customer Question

My 1994 Toyota had a blown head gasket. I had a friend change the head gasket, put in a new timing chain and new fuel injectors. Then I looked on line and they said it might be the o2 sensor. Still wont rev over 3000 rpms. Changed the catalytic converter. Still only 3000 RPMS.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Since it has a chain I assume it's the 4 cylinder engine.

Has anyone checked the timing with a timing light? It sounds like the timing may be off or there is no advance at higher rpm?

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Does it idle smooth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is the 22re. I have not put a timing light on it. So that will be next. Would the distributor cause no advance at higher rpm?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Yes but I suspect that the timing chain may be off one tooth or the distributor is not in right, very critical on this engine, try moving the distributor around as much as possible and see if it helps, if it does the timing is off, before doing anything like that check the timing to see where you're at and let me know, I'll be online most of the day tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be taking tomorrow off. I will work on it Friday. Thank you.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good I will be here the weekend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the o2 sensor out of the tailpipe and I replaced the distributor started it up and it ran over 5000 rpms. So I put the o2 sensor back in and started it back up. It would not go over 3000 rpms. I replaced the o2 earlier with a new one.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply

It's a restriction in the exhaust system, you already replaced the converter, try putting a new muffler on, it may have a blockage. By taking the sensor out the back pressure can escape throught the O2 sensor hole.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will try that next. Probably won't be til the weekend. Thanks
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

That's ok, keep me posted.