Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1999 Toyota Rav 4 and no remote control. The

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Toyota Rav 4 and no remote control. The battery died on me and when I tried to get a jump and restart it would do nothing. There is a tiny red light that is blinking steadily that wasn't before the battery died.
When I first got the car, I used the remote to unlock and lock the car. Then, it started messing up on me and locking the car up so I haven't used it again. Now the remote is lost and I'm having this issue with the battery and no start.
Is there any way for me to disable the alarm system or perhaps buy another remote control and reprogram? Please help! Thank you
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The blinking light means that the aftermarket alarm on board is now armed because the battery died, there are a couple of things you can try depending on what brand the alarm is:

remove the key from the ignition, leave door open

remove the negative battery cable

put the key in to the ON position

reconnect the battery

if the light goes steady on it should start

If not look for a small toggle switch on the left kick panel and turn it to the off position

If no luck this far I need to know if the red light is mounted directly in the dash or on a bracket at the lower edge of the dash.