Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Can a short in the downstream oxygen sensor cause the 15amp

Customer Question

can a short in the downstream oxygen sensor cause the 15amp EFI fuse to blow in my 2001 camry 5sfe?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought it to a Toyota dealer and the mechanic said the wire to the downstream oxygen sensor was rubbing on the body and this caused the fuse to blow.The fuse only blows when I am driving the car. but not when the car is running and parked
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

There "is" a chance that a wire that is rubbed-through and grounding out "can" blow this fuse. The EFI fuse covers a few different things (click here for an image) including "engine controls", of which, the Oxygen Sensor would be in that system. It "is" possible that the wire only grounds out while the vehicle is in motion and the body moves to contact the wire. HOWEVER, as you can see in the image I sent, this fuse also covers items in the Transmission Systems and the Engine Immobilizer (part of the anti-theft system) as well. So if you find the problem only happens while driving, there's a chance the problem lies in a transmission-related area. Might be a good idea to have a second opinion, and preferably from a shop that has experience in automotive electrical systems as opposed to a general shop. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert. I saw this thread was still open and was wondering if there was any other questions you had on this issue? Anything else I can do for you on this thread?