Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Front right makes clunking/rattling noise most noticeably

Customer Question

Front right makes clunking/rattling noise most noticeably around 50 mph.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A rattle/clunk noise is most likely a bad wheel bearing. I would get this checked out by a qualified shop if I were you. This is (if it is the wheel bearing) a rather dangerous situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but for clarity...There is no play in the wheel. The noise only occurs at high speeds not low. The car does not pull to the side at all. It drives perfectly normally except the noise. Is not related to turning.

You can have no play in the wheel and still have a bad bearing. This is where the chrome is worn off of the bearing rollers. Assuming the bearing is good, we would wqant to investigate the possibility of rust on the inside of the brake rotor, or the rotor rubbing the backing plate. A broken sway bar link would give you a rattle/clunk, as would worn sway bar bushings. If the noise is more prevalent over bumps, I would suspect the tops of the struts; these devices are called the 'strut caps' in some areas, in other places they are called the "top strut support bearings". If you are sure the wheel bearings are good (a mechanic's stethescope would tell this), I would be looking at the sway bar links and bushings next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx. This stuff covered under 60K mile warranty. 14 Camry onlyhas 42k on it.

If you have the Toyota Extra Care warranty, some of this would be covered. The factory 60 K warranty is for the powertrain only. That would be the engine, transmission, drive axles, wheel bearings, etc. The brake rotors, backing plates, sway bars links and struts are not covered by the powertrain warranty; certain service contracts have coverage on the balance of the items.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer